Wednesday, December 17, 2008

New Author Challenge


Since this is my first year blogging about books, I'm new to all these challenges. There are so many that seem so intriguing! I'd sign up for all of them if I thought I could. As it is, I am at about 45 books for the year now. That's the most I've read since I started keeping track. It's been a pretty good year for reading. I don't want to fail a challenge so this year I'm playing it safe. I'm committed to the A to Z challenge and I've signed up for the New Author Challenge. I think I'd better stop there.


The New Author Challenge is a good one for me because I have a bad habit of sticking to authors I know. It's good to have a list of authors we can count on though. I know that I can pick up a book from any of my favorites and have it be a good read. It's comfortable. The problem is, eventually I catch up to them and they need to start writing more! This is where new authors are good.


The idea of the New Author Challenge is to read a set number (you get to pick that number) of books by authors that are new to you. This doesn't mean the author has to be new to the industry, just someone you've never read before. I have 14 authors that are new to me on my A to Z list alone. Taking that into account, I'm going to try for 25 this year. How about you? How are you going to challenge yourself this new year?

No comments: