Monday, December 15, 2008

Musing Mondays


This Mondays' prompt, I can really relate to.


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about reading on the go…


I always like to have a book with me at all times – call it a nerdy grown-up security blanket – and rarely do I leave the house without slipping one into my bag (even if I KNOW I’m not going to have a chance to read it). Do you take a book with you? Do you take whatever book you’re currently reading, or do you have a special on-the-go book? And do you have a preference for a these types of book (paperback, hardback; short stories; poetry etc)?


I take a book everywhere. Almost. There are times I don't when I really regret not bringing one too. I have taken to buying purses that will hold a book because there are times I can't carry an extra bag.


It all started when I was growing up and had a shopper for a mother. I like to shop but I'm not a shopper of her caliber. I would spend a good period of time with my dad waiting for my mom to come out of the stores. I finally learned that a book was necessary. I still do that when I go shopping with my mom. Often I'll end up waiting in the car and when I don't have a book, it's not pretty.


I bring a book with me every day to work, knowing I can read at lunch times. I bring a book on road trips even when I'm driving. You never know when you'll get stuck in major traffic. I broke my own rule and brought a book to Disneyland this last time, carrying it around in my purse just in case I had to wait for something. I don't think I cracked it open though, There is just too much good people watching to be done at Disneyland.


As for what book I drag around with me? Usually it's whatever I'm reading. The only exception is major vacations when I try to leave the hardbacks at home. I also have a spare book or two in my car just in case I forget one. It's always important to have a back up.

1 comment:

Rebecca Johnson said...

As a non-shopper with shopping friends, I can completely relate. You ALWAYS bring a book shopping :)