Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Cinderella Pact by Sarah Strohmeyer


The Cinderella Pact, by Sarah Strohmeyer is a cute book. From the cover, to the title, to the love story, it appeared to be basic chick lit. I don't say that in any derogatory way. I love chick lit. I read it, I write it, I enjoy it. It's take the place of the good old fashioned bodice rippers and I have to say that for the most part it's a huge step in the right direction.


As for The Cinderella Pact, something was different. The normal formula was followed with a twist. Nola, the main character, was overweight. So were her friends. After the three friends were discriminated on because of their weight, the ladies decided to form the Cinderella Pact, which was to lose weight.


Each lady approached it differently. The book hit on topics such as gastric bypass, counting points at Weight Watchers, personal trainers, and falling off the wagon. I hadn't read a book, a novel at least, like this one before. You don't see overweight main characters too often. Even by the end of the book, she wasn't skinny, but she was healthier and that's the point.




There were a few different sub-plots going around. The Cinderella Pact itself was only one part of the story. Nola found herself in a situation at work that was her own fault really. Her attempts to get herself out of it were cute. She also fell for a mystery man named "Chip" who turned out to be the last person she expected.




Anyone who's tried to lose weight will relate to a good part of this book. Because of that I found it hard to read at times. Sometimes the things Nola was going through hit a little close to home. I think that's one of the reasons it took me so long to finish. Ms. Strohmeyer gave me a few nudges to make some changes in my own life.

No comments: