Monday, December 29, 2008

Musing Monday - Dec. 29


Today's Prompt. . .


How often do you recommend books to others, and who do you recommend them to? Do you only recommend books to your “reading friends” or to anyone you think might find the book interesting? What does it take for a book to make it to your ‘recommendation’ list?


I recommend books all the time. I tend to stick to those who I know actually read but occasionally I recommend books in conversations even when I'm not sure they'll pick up the book.


I tailor my recommendations based on what I know people read. I have a couple of friends that I will recommend just about everything. If I've enjoyed the book, I'm pretty sure they will too. I have another friend who I only recommend certain books to. She only likes certain types of books and I know that.


Then there is my mother. . . She's the one that created the reader I am today and she always has a book going, but she's fairly picky. Everything is "just ok". I'm waiting for her to tell me that she really loves a book. I'm very choosy about the books I loan her.


As for what it takes to make my "recommendation list?" That's hard. I suppose for the most part it has to be a book that stands out in the crowd. It doesn't have to be a great book, just something different and unique. I take personal responsibility for the fact that five out of the eight ladies I work with have read or are reading the Twilight series. I also passed around The Lace Reader and the Jen Lancaster books. There are some books that are just to bizarre to share though. . .


No comments: