Friday, December 31, 2010

Wrapping Up 2010

Another year coming to an end.  Ugh.  I'm not sure I'm ready to say goodbye to 2010.  I had a lot I wanted to accomplish.  Now I'm going to have to set my goals high for 2011.  I think it would be nice to occasionally meet goals before the New Year starts and then don't set anymore!  They only lead to heartache. . . But enough of that.

2010 was a good year for reading!  I read 64 books this year which is a new record!  Well, actually I think it is.  I've only kept track for the last five years or so.  I can safely say that my numbers have improved every year since 2006.  I met two of the challenge goals that I set for myself last January so that's good.  

The highlights of 2010:

* The Hunger Games trilogy!  I discovered the series in 2010 and read all three books.  I am so glad that I did.  They are full of action and great characters.
* The Forest of Hands and Teeth and The Dead Tossed Waves:  Again, two books in a series that I seriously loved.  I can't wait for the third book.
* Under the Dome:  I fussed about how long the book took me to finish but I still think about it all the time.  It's good.
The Help:  Another book that will stay with me.  I read a few books about the horrors that humans can inflict on others just based on religion or race or color of skin.  It's not right and this book sheds light on that.
* The Book Thief:  Wow.  Just an amazing book again, focusing on human horrors - this time the Holocaust.  The difference in this book is that the book centers on a different view, one of the German people, innocent and yet still living in fear.
* Infinite Days:  Another vampire book, yet so different.  It was nice to read something so very different. 
* The Passage:  Another long book that took me FOREVER to read but it was worth it.  Very good book about survival.

The low-lights of 2010

* Going Overboard:  The more I think about this one, the more I think it was a waste of time. 
* Out of Eden:  A very boring romance.
* Briar Rose:  Very disappointing to me.  I didn't enjoy the story and I really expected something different.
* The Dangerous Days of Daniel X:  Pointless read.  Good thing it was quick.
* Witch and Wizard:  Another pointless Patterson book.  I didn't enjoy it at all.

The good news is that I enjoyed more books than I disliked.  That's always a positive!  I'm really looking forward to 2011 and the wonderful books that it will bring!

No comments: