Saturday, December 4, 2010

What My Best Friend Did by Lucy Dawson


What My Best Friend Did, by Lucy Dawson, is a story of a young woman dealing with a friend who is suffering from a mental illness.  It's fairly depressing as a whole and I had a hard time relating to it.  That's probably a good thing.

Alice is a young woman, living with her longtime boyfriend when she meets Gretchen.  She and Gretchen become fast friends and Alice finds herself pulling away from Tom, her boyfriend.  When she begins a flirtation with Bailey, Gretchen's brother, things start to fall apart.

Alice soon learns that Gretchen is suffering from bi-polar disorder and is not always rational, especially when off her medication.  Alice feels guilty and responsible for helping to care for Gretchen even though she is dealing with her own problems.

I didn't really care for any of the characters in this story, except for Tom.  Alice was whiny, Gretchen was manic, and Bailey was selfish.  Tom was the only one who seemed to be relate-able.  Maybe it's because I have not had personal experience with mental illness, but I found the story to be boring and annoying.  I wish I enjoyed it more.  The big reveal at the end was even a let down.  This is one of those books that I will forget quickly.

No comments: