Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Three Kings by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez

 

The Three Kings by Alisa Valdes-Rodriguez was really an interesting read.  By the description I thought it was going to be a light and fluffy romance novel but it was actually pretty light on the romance.  My overall thoughts on the book were quite positive but I have a few minor issues which I’ll get to in a moment.  


Christy is a very successful interior designer.  She makes a lot of money and has been able to “escape” the barrio and live a very different life than her Mexican American family.  I grew up -and still live- in an area with a huge Mexican population.  I recognized many of the stereotypes laughed about in the book because I do see them on a daily basis.  Christy makes sure that nobody thinks she is Mexican.  She is Mexican American.  I never thought about the difference before.  

Christy is recently divorced so of course her family wants her to get married again.  Her wonderful cousin, Maggie, invites three men to one of her family dinners.  The three Reyes cousins, Caspar, Melchior, and Balthazar all agree to take Christy on a series of dates at the end of which she’ll decide which she wants to continue to see.  They all open her eyes to who she has become and where she came from.  She learns important lessons from all three men and ultimately is a better person by the end.  

I learned some of the lessons along with Christy and I love that part of the book.  I love her realizations about her family and her background.  My only complaint is that I felt some parts were missing.  Somehow I missed her third date with Melchior which I assume didn’t happen but there was no mention of her cancelling.  I felt that parts of the story was disjointed.  Overall, I do recommend the story.  It’s really quite sweet.

No comments: