Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins



I read Mockingjay back in August so I can't believe I'm just now getting to review it!  Warning, don't read this if you haven't already read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire.  I can't promise not to spoil anything.

In Mockingjay, Katniss finds herself in District 13, which isn't supposed to exist anymore.  She learns that there is an underground army forming and she is expected to be the face of the revolt.  They want her, the Mockingjay, to be their spokeswoman of sorts.  She does the job but she has an agenda of her own, to kill President Snow.

Mockingjay is full of action, just as the previous two books.  The arena is gone and in it's place is the Capitol, just as nasty and full of traps as the arenas were.  Katniss, Peeta, and Gail have to make their way through the Capitol to get to the President.  It isn't easy.

The book was good yet I felt something was missing.  It didn't leave me with the insane love I felt when I read The Hunger Games.  I am satisfied with the ending and the story but I wasn't blown away.  I feel like Katniss was a little too whiny and broken.  She hid in closets instead of facing what needed to be faced.  Yes, she'd been through hell twice, but I wanted her to be stronger.  I wanted her to be bold and not hide away.  But that's only my opinion.  The Hunger Games Trilogy is a great series and I encourage everyone to read the books.  I'm so very glad I did and I look forward to whatever Suzanne Collins has coming out next.

No comments: