Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis



I still haven't seen the new movie version of Voyage of the Dawn Treader, so this review is strictly on the book, which is a good one.  I've been trying to journey through Narnia for several years now.  I think I received the set of books when I was around twelve or thirteen.  That means I've had them for well over twenty years.  I kept reading The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe over and over and over again.  I am now making progress.  I'm at least keeping up with the movies!

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is quite a fun adventure book.  We are introduced to Eustace, a spoiled cousin of the Pevensies.  Lucy and Edmond go to stay with Eustace and his family one summer and are whisked back into Narnia, with Eustace along for the ride.  They are hauled aboard a ship called the Dawn Treader where they find their old friends Caspian, Reepicheep, and others.  The ship is sailing to find the seven lost Lords of Narnia.

Through their search, they encounter strange islands and odd creatures.  This is where the story really gets going.  In my opinion this is one of the lighter and more fun books in the series.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and I regret that I didn't read it twenty years ago.  It could almost be read as a stand-alone book if someone was not familiar with the rest of the series.  Voyage of the Dawn Treader is recommended for all ages but there are a few places that might be a little intense.  If your kids aren't reading independently at this level, I recommend you read it with them.  You'll all enjoy it.

No comments: