Monday, December 27, 2010

Journey to the River Sea by Eva Ibbotson



I picked up Journey to the River Sea, by Eva Ibbotson, strictly because I needed a book written by an "I" author.  Fortunately I chose wisely and thanks to the A to Z Challenge, I found a wonderful book that I probably would never have looked at otherwise.

Maia is an orphan who is leaving the security of her boarding school in England to travel to the Amazon to live with distant relatives.  She has images of her twin cousins becoming fast friends, and having adventures in the jungle.  Once she arrives, she realizes that nothing is as it seems.  Her aunt is paranoid, her uncle unaware, and her cousins are downright creepy.  It is Miss Minton, Maia's nanny and teacher, who protects Maia from her awful family.

Maia does find her adventure in the jungle, and with a great cast of characters, we the readers go along for the ride.  Journey to the River Sea is one of those special books that is going to stay with me.  I plan to share this book with many people and I really highly recommend it.  If any of you are teachers, it's an excellent book to read aloud, with all the twists and turns.

No comments: