Thursday, July 17, 2008

Twilight vs. Harry

I planned on reviewing the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, in a couple of weeks, but I just saw the new trailer for the movie and I've got Edward on the brain. I was a little ashamed of being obsessed by a "young adult" book at the age of . . . well let's just say over 30, under 36. I find I'm not alone, thanks to Twilightmoms and other groups. These books are being compared with Harry Potter, but they shouldn't be. They are only similar in that they have enthusiastic fans, are best sellers, and contain a bit of fantasy. Say the name Harry Potter to anyone and you'd get some response. I'd say 99% of Americans know the name. Twilight isn't quite there yet. My parents are good examples. My dad is 70, my mom is younger. They have not read any of the Harry Potter books but they have seen all the movies and know the difference between a muggle and a pureblood. With Twilight, the conversation goes like this:

Me: So the actors playing Bella and Edward are on the cover of Entertainment Weekly.
Parents: Who?
Me: The actors from the Twilight movie.
Parents: What?
Me: You know, the vampire books I'm obsessed with?
Parents: Oh.

This is why the two series should not be compared. At least not yet. I'm not saying I don't love Twilight, I really, really, really do. It just isn't at the level of Harry Potter. I'll gush over Harry at a later time. Really, there will be gushing. In the meantime, I'll go watch the trailer for Twilight again and drool over Edward.

No comments: