Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer


Building up to the release of Breaking Dawn on Saturday (Woo hoo!), I thought I would go back and review the first three books in the series. I'm starting a day early because I plan to finish my current book tomorrow and should blog about that one then. I keep a journal - I mention it below my blog title- of the books I read. This journal goes back 2 1/2 years now and I wish I had started it when I were younger. It would be quite interesting to see what I had to say way back when. I don't write much in my journal, just the date, title, author and a few lines of my thoughts. I finished Twilight (for the first time) on Nov. 1, 2007. Here is my basic entry:

"Really, really good. I love a good non-scary vamp story. It is a great book. Can't wait to read more."

So, there you go. I liked it. The second reading was completed on Feb. 24, 2008. Here's what I said: "I know, I already read it but I needed to refresh my memory after reading the sequels. To say I love this book is an understatement." Yeah, it is. I love this book. I know I wrote about how it isn't quite at Harry Potter status but it could be. Just not quite yet. Let's see what happens when the movie comes out.

For those of you out of the loop (get in it now), Twilight is the story of a teen aged girl named Bella. She moves to Forks, WA to live with her father after her mother re-marries. At school, she meets an intriguing boy named Edward Cullen. Edward just happens to be a vampire. The resulting story is all about Bella's quest to be with Edward and Edward's quest to protect her. Sometimes he is protecting her from himself. One of the things I loved about this series is the fact that the vampire mythology has been flipped on it's head. It's very, very cool to read something new. No garlic, no crosses, no sleeping in coffins. No sleeping in fact. The movie will be out on December 12th and I know it's going to be a success with fans of the book, I only hope it brings others into the fold as well. Oh also. . . the actors are stunning. Really. I'm totally in love with a fictional character. Again.

For lots of good info on the release of Breaking Dawn and the Twilight movie, check out Twilight Moms.


No comments: