Sunday, July 20, 2008

Selecting What to Read

How do you choose your books? I have a hard time. I am generally pleased with my selections but sometimes I'm disappointed. I hate spending my money on books I don't care for. I usually pass them on and hopefully they are enjoyed by someone else. The first selection point for me is the author. I have certain authors that I read no matter what. I'll read anything Nora Roberts puts out. It doesn't mean I love all the books, but I love enough of them to know that it will probably be a good read. The same goes for Sophie Kinsella, Meg Cabot (her books for adults, not teens), and Janet Evanovich. If they have a new book, I'll buy it without even knowing the topic. I can count on them. Other authors, I'm working my way through and will probably get to the point where I'll read everything they've got. Authors in this category for me are Phillipa Gregory and Emily Giffin, among others.

The next factor for me is whether it's part of a series I've read. For example, I'm reading the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson. I don't plan to read every book he's written, but I like that series a lot. I'm also a big fan of the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer so I will definitely be picking up Breaking Dawn. In fact I've already got it reserved. (I just love Edward!)

I also get books based on recommendations. I read reviews in magazines, I listen to my friends, and buy into hype that sometimes surrounds books. I never would have picked up the first Harry Potter book (when they first came out) if I hadn't been hearing buzz about it. Of course the buzz turned into a whirlwind by the 7th book and I was thrilled to be a part of it.

Last but not least, I choose based on the subject. If it looks interesting, fun, intriguing, I'll give it a shot. I have to keep finding new authors to read because sometimes it seems my favorites just don't write fast enough!

How do you choose your books? Share!

No comments: