Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Electronic Books

So what do you all think? I regularly talk myself in and out of getting one. I'm leaning toward the Kindle, but then again I'm not. I'm terribly fickle! I love the idea of all those books at my fingertips. It would make traveling so much easier to not have to carry around all those books -and I travel with a buttload of books. Every time I go to Amazon and see the pretty Kindle staring back at me I want one. I love technology and I've seen one in person. It's very cute and so very handy! But then again. . . I love books.

Not just the stories, but the book itself. I love the feel of a book. I love the smell of a book. I love flipping through pages. I love the covers and the dedication pages, even the ads at the back of the book for other books. I don't think I could give that up. I adore my bookcase full of books and if all that were sitting on it were a Kindle, I'd be very sad. I also love being able to share books. I regularly read a book and think of who might like to read it next. I don't think you can do that with a Kindle, unless you let your friend borrow it and that could be a costly mistake.

I'm not saying no, I won't get one, but I'm not saying yes either. I don't have the money right now, that's the bottom line. If I did, could I justify the cost just to use it to travel? Could I compromise between electronic books and real books? Maybe I could just buy the actual book of the books I know I want to keep. I don't know. I tell you, I'm conflicted. Anyone have an e-book? What do you think? How do you compromise?

No comments: