Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sisterchicks Go Brit by Robin Jones Gunn


I picked up the first Sisterchick book (Sisterchicks on the Loose) a few years back, I think it had just come out. I had started reading Robin's books when I discovered the Glenbrooke series. I'm a Christian but I don't read a lot of Christian fiction. I'll be honest, I find a lot of it terribly cheesy and not all that interesting. I mean no offense to the sincere authors who write Christian fiction, some of it is quite good! There are authors who craft beautiful stories that touch hearts. My main issue with a good chunk of the genre is the idea that everything is good all the time. Even with God in my life, things are not good all the time, things can be dark and scary, painful and lonely. I want real characters and real situations. That said, let me tell you why I like the Sisterchicks books.

The first thing you should know is that they are about travel. With the exception of Sisterchicks Down Under they are about women -usually two friends -traveling together. I only say that book is an exception because it involved relocation for one woman who made a friend in her new temporary home. If you have ever traveled with a very close friend you'll know that it's not always easy. Even for the best of friends to spend that much time together can be tricky. I have traveled with my best friend and it's a lot of fun. There is usually one point where we are tired and cranky but we respect each other to know that we can let it pass and move on.

In the Sisterchick books the women generally have a plan but rarely get to follow it. Isn't that usually the way it is with traveling plans? There's always something to mess things up but these women embrace it, enjoy it and have fun. There's a great scene in Sisterchicks Go Brit where one of the characters splits her pants right before taking off in a hot air balloon. With some creative use of duct tape, she manages to get through the flight. After coming down to earth she sits down in some grass and not realizing that some of the sticky tape might be coming through she stands up to have "daisies" on her pants. It's cute and you know what? It could totally happen to all of us.

I have been to the UK and I can really relate to those moments of seeing some of the great treasures for the first time. The first time you see the Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, and the Crown Jewels is quite amazing. The main character also has a great love for English literature. I'm getting there but I do understand where she is coming from.

It's a light, fluffy read, perfect for an airplane or vacation read. It takes you away and you can't help but enjoy it. If you are a woman who loves to travel or just wants to travel I say pick these books up. The books do bring up Bible passages and the women usually have some sort of growth in their relationship with God but the books aren't overly preachy. Even if you aren't a Christian, you could easily read them for the adventures. Enjoy!

No comments: