Monday, September 8, 2008

Booking Through Thursday. . . On Monday


Yeah, I know I'm late. See previous posts for all my excuses! Here is this week's (last week's?) prompt:



I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them.
Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.
Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?


Sorta. I'm really a sucker for whatever is popular. It seems to me that the more hype some things have the more I want to read or watch them. I jumped on the Twilight bandwagon before it exploded so I can pat myself on the back for that one. I will buy books based on a lot of talk. If I see a review in a magazine, hear about it on a message board, and see a large display in the book store, I take a look.

That being said, if I don't think it will hold my interest, I won't buy it. I read a lot of Oprah's books when she first started her book club but I found that I wasn't enjoying all of them and I really knew ahead of time that I wouldn't. I fell into the hype.


Another example is the Da Vinci Code. Everyone at work was reading it at the height of it's popularity. I wasn't interested then and I'm still not. I resisted that one. I'm still not sure why.


I suppose I'm more of a follower when it comes to movies and tv but books can be included at times. It's a lot more of a commitment to read a book then watch an hour tv show or a two hour movie. Show me the hype, I'll check out the book. I can't guarantee I'll read it but I'll take a look.

No comments: