Monday, September 8, 2008

The Last Summer (Of You and Me) by Ann Brashares


I really loved this book. I wasn't so sure in the middle if I even liked it anymore but I kept going and ended up enjoying it. Ann Brashares is the author of the Traveling Pants books of which I am a fan. This is her first "adult" book. The only difference is that the characters were a bit older and the love scenes are a bit more graphic than you'd find in a typical young adult novel. They were quite tame compared to some of the bodice rippers I used to read.


The story takes place on Fire Island, New York. I don't know much about the island but it seems idyllic to spend the summer there. It revolves around two sisters who are both adults and are spending their summer at their family home on the island. Their parents come for weekends, but they stay during the week. Alice babysits and works at the yacht club, while Riley works as a lifeguard.


The third character that is central to the story is Paul. His family home is next door and he grew up with the girls. His relationship with Riley was of best friend. With Alice it was different. This is the crux of the book. He loves Alice and Alice loves him but they both love Riley. It is difficult for Alice and Paul to be together because neither wants to hurt Riley.


Things happen and circumstances change, tearing Paul and Alice apart very abruptly. This is where I got mad. I was mad at Alice for abandoning Paul, I was mad at Paul for not fighting, and I was mad at Riley for being stubborn. By the end I forgave them all and wasn't ready for the story to end.

It's a fairly quick story, it didn't take me long and I couldn't put it down when I got started. I'd love to know what you think!

No comments: