Monday, August 25, 2008

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audry Niffenegger


I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and I loved it. It was funny, sweet, romantic, and heartbreaking all at the same time. It started off a little rough. I found myself going back to the chapter or section titles to check the ages. It was a bit confusing at times, but the puzzle was a lot of fun to figure out.


I like the idea of knowing my future. I don't believe in fortune tellers but if I were to see it for myself, it would be easy to believe. Clare knows who she's going to marry from the time she is a little girl. She doesn't have to worry about finding "the one". She knows it will happen, she just isn't certain when it will happen.


This book is a love story between Clare and Henry. Henry is a time traveler. He can't control where he goes, when he goes or how long he's gone so he's often caught in awkward situations. Clare meets an adult Henry when she is six. In real time, Henry is only fourteen but the older Henry who is already married to Clare, visits her. I know it doesn't make sense, but if you read it you will.


I don't know that I would have finished this book if I didn't fall in love with the characters. Henry and Clare show such an intense love for each other that you can't help but go along for the ride. They are quirky, intelligent, fun people who try to live a normal life under extraordinary situations.


I highly recommend this book. It's a wonderful love story.

No comments: