Thursday, August 21, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Today's topic is libraries. Here's the prompt:

Whether you usually read off of your own book pile or from the library shelves NOW, chances are you started off with trips to the library. (There’s no way my parents could otherwise have kept up with my book habit when I was 10.) So … What is your earliest memory of a library? Who took you? Do you have you any funny/odd memories of the library?

Let's see. . . my earliest library memories. . . I've got so many! My aunt was a librarian and I spent a lot of time with her. I remember summer reading programs the best. I know I was really young when I first started going to their weekly events. There would be puppet shows, clowns (didn't like that part), story time, author signings, and lots of other things. My aunt brought me books signed by Leo Politi, Peggy Parish (Amelia Bedelia books) and others.

When I was old enough I would help my aunt shelve the books, pull cards from the card files, clean the books, and check them back in. I worked off several fines that way. I knew my little library backwards and forwards. I have such wonderful library memories.

I already wrote about my germ issues in an earlier post and unfortunately I don't read library books anymore. I miss it a lot. I hope that when I have children I can get past it all and let them experience the joy of libraries as well.

3 comments:

Confuzzled Shannon said...

I hope you can get past the germ issue too. The library is good for kids.

SmilingSally said...

Oh, the library should not be withheld from children. Germs are everywhere and some are even good for us.

Debbie said...

Sorry about the germ issue. I have high hopes for you letting your children check out tho. (you can just carry some antibacterial wipes in your bag :~)