Monday, January 12, 2009

Musing Mondays -Assigned Reading


How did you react to assigned reading when you were in school/university/college/etc? How do you think on these books now? What book were you 'forced' to read when you where in school that you've since reread and loved?

Ugh. Assigned reading. Blech. I hated it. It was always horrible to be forced to read something. Now I assign reading to myself and usually plow through it, no matter how tedious or difficult. It's personal now.

I think the main issue I had with assigned reading is the time limit. I'm not a fast reader, I'm a careful reader and because of that, time-lines were hard for me.

As for books that I hated then and love now? A Tale of Two Cities comes to mind. I love that book. It's amazing. I have re-read The Great Gatsby and probably appreciate it more now. On the other side of things, there are a few books I was forced to read in high school that I'd like to read again but just haven't gotten around to. Watership Down for one.

2 comments:

Stacy said...

I have a Tale of Two Cities on my TBR list. Looking forward to it. I agree...I love the fact that out of school and doing these reading challenges, we basically create our own syllabus. We read the books we want, when we want and we decide what we will write about them. Much more of an adventure:)

Beth F said...

Watership Down was an assigned book? Wow! I think I read it when I was in college (for pleasure, not class). I remember loving it. I agree, it might be a good one for re-reading.