Sunday, January 18, 2009

Baby Proof by Emily Giffen


Baby Proof is one of those books that make you think. There are a few moments that hit entirely too close to home and can hit on sensitive nerves. It was hard for me to get going with this book. I started it, read a few pages, and put it down thinking that I was not going to be a fan of the main character. It turns out I was wrong and while I didn't love the book, I liked it enough to finish reading it and I'll probably share it with a few people.

Baby Proof is about Claudia, a woman in her mid-thirties, who has a very loving marriage. Thing start to go bad when her husband decides he wants children and she absolutely does not. They can not come to a compromise and end up getting a divorce. Claudia struggles through losing the only man she's ever really loved while dealing with work, a new romance, and the drama surrounding her sisters and her best friend.

One thing I really enjoyed was that all of the minor characters had a sub-plot. Claudia's sister Maura was struggling with her husband's infidelity and decisions regarding her marriage and three young children. Her other sister Daphne is struggling with infertility and her best friend, Jess, is dating a married man. All the loose ends tie up neatly towards the end of the book but one question is left hanging. I'm not going to tell you what it was. You'll have to read and find out.

There is also a nice little cameo by Ethan from Something Blue. It's nice to know that he and Darcy are still together!

No comments: