Friday, November 7, 2008

My Shelves

I have three bookcases that I use for books. I need quite a few more if I'm honest, I just don't have the room. My little house can't handle much more furniture. Each one serves a different purpose and I really am not happy with how it's organized.

In my living room I have a nice new tall bookcase that I love. It's functional and it's visible and it's just right. It has five shelves. The top shelf holds my most favored books of the moment. Currently it is holding the Lord of the Rings trilogy (told you I'd love it when it was over), the Twilight series, the Harry Potter series and The Tale of Despereaux. Nothing else will fit. Some of those books are big!

The second shelf from the top holds all my travel books. My Frommers guides, my Hawaii for Dummies book, my nifty little maps, and a few others. I don't like this shelf because it looks messy. Some of the books are outdated and some just need to be purged. I have about six books on Hawaii alone and as I have no immediate plans to go back, I'd probably be fine getting rid of a few.

The third and fourth shelves contain my "to be read" books. These two shelves are full of James Patterson, Janet Evanovich, and a whole assortment of others. I love these two shelves because they are full of possibilities and remind me that I'm in no danger of running out of books. I love picking a new book to read from one of these shelves. Sometimes I sit on the floor and stare at them. It's an illness.

The bottom shelf is not just books. It's the toy shelf for when my niece comes to visit. I've got children's picture books and a big toy box that fits neatly into the large bottom shelf. I like this one too because it serves a good purpose.

My two other bookcases are in my bedroom and they are a mix of old and new books. I can't stand it. The disorganization is driving me crazy. One shelf has books that I've been meaning to read for years and yet I never even consider them when I look for a new book. It's very frustrating for me. I just don't know what to do with them. My goal this weekend is to go through them all (again) and try to purge some. Really, books should be read and they aren't doing me any good collecting dust. Somebody, somewhere will enjoy them.

No comments: