Thursday, November 13, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Today's Prompt:


I’ve asked, in the past, about whether you more often buy your books, or get them from libraries. What I want to know today, is, WHY BUY?


Even if you are a die-hard fan of the public library system, I’m betting you have at least ONE permanent resident of your bookshelves in your house. I’m betting that no real book-lover can go through life without owning at least one book. So … why that one? What made you buy the books that you actually own, even though your usual preference is to borrow and return them?
If you usually buy your books, tell me why. Why buy instead of borrow? Why shell out your hard-earned dollars for something you could get for free?


I'm a buyer. I've mentioned before about my germ issues with library books and it's true. Another reason I tend to avoid libraries is the pressure! It's very stressful to get a book finished in time. If I don't finish, I have to go back and re-check the book out. Sometimes you can't even do that! Sometimes the books are only allowed to be checked out for a week because of the waiting list. That's a lot of stress for someone like me who is not a terribly fast reader.


Another reason I buy books is because I enjoy having that full bookshelf. It's fun to pick out the next book to read, having lots of choices.


I rarely regret buying a book (although there are a few exceptions). Yes, I work hard for my money and no I don't make much, but I almost figure books as much a necessity as a tank of gas. I don't keep every book, I donate them to libraries, I give them to friends, and I pass them on. Yes, buying books are a luxury but so is Internet access, cell phones, satellite TV, and my expensive moisturizer. I'm not giving those up either. All that being said, I do have a book budget. I try to keep it under $50 a month. It works for me.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

Makes sense to me. Here's my answer.
http://bookcritiques.blogspot.com/2008/11/booking-through-thursday.html