Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Let's Do Some Critical Thinking!

In order to stop the boring LOTR updates (chapter 9 done by the way), I thought I would compare the book to the movie. . . just a little bit. Obviously I can't compare the whole book. Frodo and Sam haven't even appeared yet. I don't want to pick apart scenes - Denethor did not throw himself off the wall - but I find it quite interesting what Tolkien did.

It's been two years since I read Fellowship so I can't even remember the set up on that one. I do remember that The Two Towers was broken up into books, just like The Return of the King. I had forgotten that and once again was asking "Where's Frodo?" before realizing that his story would come later.

What I'm trying to say is that The Return of the King is broken into two books (and then a massive appendix). The first book deals with Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli, Gadalf, Pippin, Merry, Faramir, Eomer, and Eowyn -to name just a few. The second book is about Frodo, Sam and Gollum, and what happens after they destroy the ring.

All through this first book I've wanted to know what's going on with Frodo. Obviously time will overlap once I start the next section. It's an interesting way to write. I don't think I'd ever be that ambitious but I admire Tolkien for it.

I don't think I've made much sense. At least I had something to say!

No comments: