Thursday, October 16, 2008

Booking Through Thursday


Today's prompt is very interesting:



Avid readers know all too well how easy it is to acquire books — it’s the letting go that’s the difficult part. … During the past 20 years, in which books have played a significant role in both my personal and professional lives, I’ve certainly had my fair share of them (and some might say several others’ shares) in my library. Many were read and saved for posterity, others eventually, but still reluctantly, sent back out into the world.


But there is also a category of titles that I’ve clung to for years, as they survived numerous purges, frequent library donations and countless changes of residence. I’ve yet to read them, but am absolutely certain I will. And should. When, I’m not sure, as I’m constantly distracted by the recent, just published and soon to be published works.


So, the question is his: “What tomes are waiting patiently on your shelves?“


Oh yes. I've got some of those books. I've got a lot of those books actually. I have a whole bookcase that is full of books I never even look at anymore but intend to read. Occasionally I'll skim through and purge but it's rare. At one point I was embarrassed by all the bodice ripper covers on some books (thank goodness that trend seems to be over) and got rid of those. I just couldn't imagine carrying one around with me!


The ones I hang on to that I fully intend to read -really- are a lot of the classics. I'm trying to read four classics/award winners/notable books a year. This is not to say that I only read mindless fluff, because I don't. I do however want to expand my literary horizons. I've got some Jane Austin novels waiting for me to read, and I still haven't finished all of the Narnia books. My mother belonged to some book-by-mail club and the books are all relatively short romances. I keep them around with the thinking I can grab one when I need it. Of course I never do. There's too much else to read! At one time I wrote about my fear of running out of books. I suppose that will never really happen. Time to go dust that bookshelf. . .

2 comments:

SmilingSally said...

I have too many books to make a list.

I'm giving away books. Come see. There might be more for you to dust! Happy BTT.

Anonymous said...

I too am trying to read more classics. Although I'm finding I don't enjoy them as much. However right now I'm enjoying Journey to the Center of the Earth by Jules Verne very much! My BTT is up.