Monday, October 20, 2008

Here We Go Again

A few years back (I think I've mentioned this. . . ) I started a quest to read four classics/award winners/notable books a year. I chose four because this was the torture inflicted me in High School. One nasty book report a quarter for four years. That's sixteen books that I really didn't want to read. I can remember a few of them too. . .

Wuthering Heights -Oi. I chose this because I was all grown up and thought that all smart girls read Bronte. Uh huh. I don't remember much about this book except I hated it.

The Scarlet Letter - This promised a bit of scandal. Puritan scandal yes, but still scandal. It was all right.

On the Beach - This was one that I chose that wasn't on the list. I had special permission and I really liked it.

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter - Incredible book. Really

A Separate Peace - I had to read this in college too. It was good.

The Color Purple - Ok, that was eye opening to a 16 year old.

Catcher in the Rye - I so did not get this book. I thought I did but I've since learned differently.

Then came the cop outs. . . First the plays.

The Glass Menagerie
Streetcar Named Desire
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Yes, Tennessee Williams was a good friend of AP English.

Then the short books:

The Red Pony - Don't remember this at all, other than it was short.
The Little Prince - It's a freakin picture book! I think this was the most popular book on the list. Every one of my friends read it.

Anyway, I got really off track. It's my blog, who cares? The point is, I have a desire to read some of the great books that got away. I'm still doing a poor job of it but at least I'm trying. Not too hard, but I'm giving it a shot. A little one. I started this in 2006. That year I read:

The Three Junes by Julia Glass- A National Book Award winner
The Black Cauldron by Lloyd Alexander - A Classic
Crispin and the Cross of Lead by Avi - Newberry Winner
Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien - Classic

In 2007:

Angels Fall by Nora Roberts-Quill Romance of the Year (cop out #1)
The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory- Notable Book ??? (cop out #2)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling- Notable Book (cop out #3)
The Two Towers by JRR Tolkien- Classic

2008:

A Horse and His Boy by CS Lewis -Classic
Prince Caspian by CS Lewis - Classic
The Kite Runner - Notable Book

That leaves one more. Have you noticed the lack of Tolkien in 2008. Yep. I've got one more to go in the Rings trilogy. It's officially been started and it will be complete. I dread this. A lot. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan. The Hobbit is one of my favorite books ever, I've read that one a few times. I've just never had a good time reading the Lord of the Rings books. After I finish each book I marvel at the story which is just brilliant but it's pure torture while I'm in it. I'm not good with the big fantasy books. The names and places and languages just mess with my head. I'm going to attempt Eragon at some point in the near future because my BFF tells me I need to. We'll see. In the meantime, I'm going to finally finish the Lord of the Rings. It should be fun. The good news is my book has Viggo on the cover. I can always stop and stare at him when I need a break.

1 comment:

The Bumbles said...

You made me laugh about Viggo on the cover - I sighed a little when I saw his picture on your cover image! I loved the movies - I think I would need a map and some sort of glossary to keep track of the books though. For the movies I just kept asking other people what the heck was going on to keep everything straight.