Monday, January 24, 2011

Across the Universe by Beth Revis


Across the Universe, by Beth Revis, is a completely satisfying book.  I say that because the story was neatly wound up and questions were answered.  One of my pet peeves lately is with books that don't really have a conclusion.  I get irritated with books that plan for sequels and don't really end.  It leaves me feeling very unsatisfied and let down.  Fortunately Across the Universe didn't do that.

Before I started reading, I imagined this book was about a teen romance set on a space ship.  I was really wrong.  Yes, the story took place on a ship in outer space and there was a touch of romance, but it wasn't the focus of the story at all. 

Amy is a teenager who has chosen to accompany her parents on a mission to colonize another planet.  She is cryogenically frozen and placed on a ship bound for the planet.  The trip is set to take three hundred years.  When she is unfrozen fifty years too early, she must cope with life on a ship where she is a stranger.  The people who were born and raised on the ship are very different, mono-ethnic and all look very similar.  She stands out with her red hair and pale skin. 

Elder is a sixteen year old boy who is the future leader of the ship.  He will replace Eldest, the current leader and his teacher.  Elder is intrigued with Amy and her tales of Earth.  With new information he begins to question the system of control that Eldest is using on the residents of the ship. 

This book is full of mystery, conspiracy and secrets.  I think the author did a fabulous job making sure that questions were answered and things made sense.  When the story came to it's conclusion, I felt that I knew everything I wanted to know - except what happens next!  The story did end and I don't know if a sequel is planned, but I would read it.  I encourage anyone to read this, don't be afraid of the science fiction element because it's not really a sci-fi book.  It's more of a dystopian world - that takes place on a space ship. 

No comments: