Saturday, May 30, 2009

Yesterday's Embers by Deborah Raney


Yesterday's Embers, by Deborah Raney, is a lovely story. It was quite the emotional ride. The author took me through heartbreak, to happiness, to joy, to disappointment, heartbreak again, anger, and hope. It was quite a ride. It made for a very good book.

Yesterday's Embers begins with a terrible tragedy. Doug DeVore has a lovely wife and six happy children. In one horrible day, he loses his wife and young daughter. He is thrown into the world of being a single dad and single again. He begins spending time with Mickey, the children's daycare teacher. He feels happiness for the first time in months and rushes into a relationship with her. Mickey is thrown into a life that most people ease into. When that life doesn't turn out quite as she expected, she is angry and disappointed in her new husband.

I related to Mickey so much as a single woman wondering if I'm every going to be blessed with a family. I was so angry at Doug for her when he didn't respond to her as I wanted him to. I'm sure many people can relate to the struggle of jumping into a ready - made family.

I recommend this book highly to those who enjoy family dramas and romances. While this book is classified as Christian fiction, it's not overly preachy at all. I think it could reach a wide audience, regardless of religious beliefs.

No comments: