Thursday, July 15, 2010

4th of July by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro

4th of July, by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro, is the fourth book in the Women's Murder Club series.  I've been slowly making my way through the series even though each is a quick typical Patterson read.  The characters are established and the rythym moves the story along.  The introduction of Yuki brings the group of women back up to four.  I read a lot of James Patterson's books although I have mixed feelings about them.  I won't get into all of that here and just try to review the book.  

This book begins with a horrible event that sends Lindsey to her sister's home in Half Moon Bay.  She needs a retreat and a break from the situation back in San Francisco.  The news of murders in the quiet town peaks her interest and she becomes involved with local police force.  She's suspicious about a link to the current murders and a John Doe that has haunted her since early in her career.

Lindsey's friends, Claire and Cindy, make cameo appearances but the focus is truly on Lindsey.  This is all her story.   Her boyfriend literally appears here and there as he flies back and forth to Washington.  I don't have high hopes for this long distance relationship.

I figured out one of the murderers towards the end of the book but the others were unexpected.  It was nice to not feel the need to read ahead (I'm a last page reader) as the book moved so quickly.  While it's not the best writing in the world, it is still a solid story and was fine for a summer read.

No comments: