Thursday, May 6, 2010

Booking Through Thursday - May 6

btt  button
So … you’re halfway through a book and you’re hating it. It’s boring. It’s trite. It’s badly written. But … you’ve invested all this time to reading the first half.
What do you do? Read the second half? Just to finish out the story? Find out what happens?
Or, cut your losses and dump the second half?
It all depends.  If it's a book for a review, I'll plug through.  Sometimes I just want to see how bad it can get.  If it's a book I've heard a ton about and have been encouraged to read, I'll probably skim.  If it's a book I bought for fifty cents at a library book sale, I'm going to put it down. 

I don't like giving up on a book.  I do give most books a fighting chance.  I usually give it to fifty pages.  If I get to one hundred and I still don't like the book, I'm not apt to quit.  If I've invested that much time, I'm going to finish.  I do find myself skimming at times just so I can find out what happens.  I don't like doing that either.  I want to enjoy, think about, and immerse myself in a book. 

No comments: