Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz Kessler


This is another one of those books that I kept seeing over and over but never read.  Maybe it’s because the cover is pretty and that attracted me!  I’m not sure it was one hundred percent worth the wait.  The book is aimed at pre-teens and I think that if I were a ten year old girl, I’d be obsessed with the book and the series.  As I am not a ten year old (although I still act like it occasionally), I found the book to be entertaining but it lacked something.  

The story is about Emily, a twelve year old who lives on a boat with her mother.  Her mother is terrified of water and has never let Emily learn how to swim.  When her school provides swimming lessons, her mother gives in.  Emily is a natural in the water and for good reason.  She’s part mermaid.  The rest of the book follows Emily’s quest to find her father and figure out why her mother can’t remember a thing about him.  


I can’t put my finger on what was missing.  The character of Emily was great, she had a lot of personality.  I’m not sure if it was just too simple for me or what I was looking/hoping for.  Eventually I may get to the rest of the series but not right away.  I am curious as to the island they were referring to.  I would recommend it to girls in the appropriate age range.  I can see my nieces enjoying it when they are older.

No comments: