Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan



The Dark and Hollow Places is the third book in a trilogy by Carrie Ryan.  The first book is The Forest of Hands and Teeth.  It’s a fantastic book and I highly recommend it.  The sequel, The Dead Tossed Waves, did not disappoint either and I’ve been anxiously awaiting the third book.  It was worth the wait.

The Dark and Hollow Places takes place pretty soon after the end of The Dead Tossed Waves.  The narrator is Annah, Gabry’s twin sister.  Annah is living in the Dark City by herself, waiting for Elias to return.   While trying to leave the Dark City to make her way back to the forest, in the hopes of finding her sister again, she sees Abigail (now Gabry) passing the other direction.  Annah fights her way back to the city and meets Catcher as well as eventually reuniting with both Elias and Gabry.  The four have to find a way to escape what is left of the Dark City while avoiding both the recruiters and the unconsecrated.  

A good deal of the first two books involve characters trying to make their way through the forest.  I kind of missed that in this book but subway tunnels took the place of the forest paths.  Like the two previous novels, the story moves along at a fast pace and it’s easy to get caught up and sucked in.  I love Ms. Ryan’s writing style and her characters.  There’s always an aspect of hope, despite a hopeless situation.  I know this was supposed to be a three-book series but I wouldn’t complain if there were another!  Or two or three.  I really enjoyed the entire series and I highly recommend all three.

1 comment:

Espana said...

This series has always been referred to as a trilogy and still is on the back flap of this book, so I'm assuming this is the last book in the series. I say this as it has one of those endings that doesn't quite satisfy, that could leave room for a sequel. But if this is indeed the final book, then I'm still mulling over whether I actually like how the book ends.

Otherwise, this was a terrific book that brings back all former major characters, except one who is spoken of often so we know where they are in the story and introduces one (sort of) new character. The story is a page-turner from beginning to end; was a book I couldn't put down and I loved the characters, though I found my opinion of them had changed from the previous book. A favourite character from before became less liked and was replaced by someone else as the plot progressed and the characters responses brought them either closer or further from my heart. The year wait between books does fade my memory a bit but I remembered everyone and what was going on pretty quickly as the story progressed. This story is very violent, certainly not for the squeamish. Of course, there is lots of zombie violence but humans are maimed and killed as well. Reader beware. I love the direction the story went. It is a bit over the top in believability but hey, so are zombies! The plot is dark and this is a story with not many bright spots. There are glimmers of hope that keep the characters from giving up and ultimately reaching the climax but the book ends on an unknown note, with only visions of what the future will hold. The ending may bother some readers who like there books to tell them how everything is all neatly wrapped up at the end. Myself, I'm still not quite sure about it. I still see another book in what comes next. But this is the third book of a trilogy, so I'll ponder their fates until I see what Carrie Ryan has for us with her next book. Love the series.