Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzzane Collins

I'm weak.  I wasn't going to read this book until May but I was pressured into it.  Now I have to wait around to read the third book in the series.  Drat.

Catching Fire continues the story of Katniss, the co-winner of The Hunger Games.  I don't want to spoil anything but the Hunger Games are back and even more twisted.  This story was nothing like I expected.  I had scenarios playing through my mind and none of them fit the reality.

The story moves along quickly and tosses the reader around a little bit.  There are moments of pure action and moments of frustration when you want to smack Katniss to get her act together.  The relationship between Katniss and Peeta grows and I found myself enjoying his character much more than I did in The Hunger Games.  I'm sure that Katniss will ultimately have to decide between Peeta or Gale but frankly she's not a romantic character and would probably be better off on her own.  Yes, I have strong opinions on fictional characters and their romantic lives.

Bottom line, if you've read The Hunger Games, you must read Catching Fire.  I'm not sure how you could resist.   Don't read Catching Fire first though.  These books must be read in order.  Go read The Hunger Games.  I'll wait.

No comments: