Thursday, October 1, 2009

Booking Through Thursday - Oct 1

Today's Booking Through Thursday question is. . .

Two-thirds of Brits have lied about reading books they haven’t. Have you? Why? What book?

I think I probably have told little white lies at times. I don't do it to make me look better or more well read though! Here are a few examples. . .

A friend tells me I really need to read a book. I know of the book or the author and have absolutely no desire to read it. In order to not have to explain myself, I usually just say that I've read it, or I started it and didn't really like it all that much.

I start reading a book, don't love it, and ended up skimming through to the end. In my mind I didn't read the book, but I might tell someone I read it because I at least gave it a good try.

Some books, A Christmas Carol for example, have been made into 13,576,987 movies* and therefore I feel like I've read the book even though I haven't.

It's rare that I would lie, but those are a few instances when I might. Like I said, I wouldn't lie to make myself appear smarter or more intelligent. I could care less what people think of the books I read. What about you?

*That number is just a random guess. According to one website there are over 200 versions out there but I like my number better.

4 comments:

La Coccinelle said...

I know what you mean about movie versions. If you see enough of them, it's almost like reading the book (at least, you could fudge your way through a conversation about the book if you had to).

jlshall said...

I have the same problem with A Christmas Carol. I've seen so many movie and TV versions of it, I can't really remember if I've ever actually read the book! So I'm choosing to remember that I did, since I really don't want to have to read it again!

Anonymous said...

I remember being in a Jr. High production of A Christmas Carol. Is that the same as reading it? No?

Tina Kubala said...

I consider Dickens to be a case for abridgment. Just tell the story already. So the movie versions are a blessing.

I tell the social lubricant book lies, too. If someone lends me a book, which is often done by raving and handing me a copy, I keep it for a couple weeks and bring it back unread.